Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thank you wise moms...

Okay,
First, thank you for all your wise council! Great ideas of which I'm going to implement some of them (Reese is laying on the couch listening to a story right now!)...
Now for the complications...
*Lane takes a different nap than my boys. When??? do I get a break???
*I have a hard time disciplining Reese for, say taking more than 5 books when he is in the same room as Carsten. Even if I take him out to talk to him and he ends up crying, etc. it wakes his brother. And, each time I go in to tell him to lay down, no more books, stay put, and so on I get more and more frustrated which I'm sure gives him frustrated vibes...
*I have heard of kids doing naughty/weird/quiet stuff while they are in quiet time and want to keep that from happening... I like the couch idea--then I can keep an eye, but have boundaries (no getting up except for the bathroom and no talking to me, etc.)
*When Reese does nap, or did nap, he was having a harder time going to bed at night... he'd lay there for an hour or more trying to fall asleep. But, on the other hand without any nap he does get a little cranky in the evening--a shorter fuse.

Thanks for letting me vent here and for helping me! My mom is coming next week and I can't wait!!! She is an indispensable help. It is always like a mini-vacation for me when she comes. Not so many diapers to change, baths to give, dishwasher loads to empty... love it!

4 comments:

Paula Jo said...

Best of luck, enjoy your vacation :), I need one bad! Today is a mini vacation for me... both children napping at the same time and I am not behind the wheel, I am home enjoying it!

Our Family said...

Glad your mom is coming to help. I was wondering if there was any way that you could move one of the boys into the guest room during nap so that they are separated and can each get their own rest. Mac goes into her room for nap but most of the time ends up having quiet reading time. She doesn't do anything naughty I would have to say....she did the crayon coloring on the wall when she was 3 but that was nipped in the bud. She loves her quiet time away from us too. It is good for her and for me. Mic loves to sleep during nap so no worries there. My only suggestion would be the guest room thing to get yourself some space too. Even if he is on the couch and there are rules not to talk, you both are still not getting your time alone. Space is good for a little while. Try it for 15 mins at first and up it to whatever you feel comfortable with later on. Sorry I am going on and on but that is my suggestion and opinion. (On another note, my mom just left and it was sooooo hard to let her go. Even my dad was a big help! It was really tough to lose some help around the house when Erik is working.)

Keep smiling:)

Anonymous said...

Yeah--separate rooms a possibility? Seems about right for giving up a nap, if not late...Remy no longer naps on his days home here, but will then go to bed earlier without 2 HOURS of drinks, requests, etc...so it's worth it. We do do quiet time, perhaps "reading" Tumblebooks (it's through the library, and it's books, so it's okay--right? :) ) or looking at books quietly without bugging mom, or something. Sometimes it works--especially if the choice is to do something less fun (ie., room w/the door shut).

I'm not sure about the worries about what kids do in a room alone--our kids manage to do plenty whether we're watching or not :) Quiet time alone is okay for kids, I think--in a reasonable way.

fwiw.

Andrea said...

Wish I had some great wisdom to share, but I don't! Sounds like I have the easy life - only having 1 child right now. Anyway, we're thinking of you and glad your Mom is coming soon. Tell her hi from us! She is a dear. love, Andrea