Saturday, November 03, 2007

Sleeping...

This is mainly for me as I need a place to write down Carsten's events until I get them in his baby book (of which I'm sad to say is not complete... I wasn't going to do that to my second child). The blog seems a better spot than a scrap of paper shoved into a nearly empty book...

Monday night we tried Carsten in his crib for the first time. He has been sleeping for naps in his crib for a week, but I have to admit that he nurses to sleep and then I lay him down... So, the night. He cried for 20 minutes and then we had all had it. The crib is in Reese's room and after 10 minutes of Carsten crying they switched and Reese started crying saying, "I just want to go to sleep, I just want to go to sleep". When we checked on Reese he was biting his nails and looking wide eyed.
Last night, Friday night, we decided to give it another go. Jim slept downstairs with Reese to minimize the stress on Reese. Carsten cried on and off for 30 minutes and then fell asleep. I went in after 5 minutes to reassure him I still existed and cared... then in another 10 minutes... Then I just waited. He slept until 3:30am in his crib! Progress.

Sleeping in our bed hasn't really been an issue... I love it. He sleeps 9-10 hours solid and then he is right there when he needs to nurse in the morning. The problem is that he is growing. For some reason kids don't get the *head* of the bed, *foot* of the bed concept. Carsten insists on sleeping with his feet in one of our faces and his head in the other person's face. We have a king sized bed (just because we knew we'd have kids in it at some point) and that is not big enough... Jim and I hang on to the edges while Carsten SPREADS out! The other problem is that we could just see that the longer we waited the harder it would get, although we did discuss that if he made it in our bed until age 5 we'd be able to reason with him at least...
So, thus starts another child rearing journey...

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Congratulations Carsten! It will get easier for you two Dana. Reese will get used to it soon and before you know it they will be sleeping through the night. Good luck!